After the driver drove the engineers to Reliance, he came back and picked me up. Then we headed into Jamnagar.
Our driver...U D Jadeja
Driving here is just as crazy as driving in Mumbai, only there are more animals involved!
Like cows...
...and camels!
We drove me to the famous Ranmal Lake and Lakota Palace. Unfortunately, it hasn't rained in Jamnagar in 4 years, so the lake isn't much of a lake!
Then we went to the Bala Hanuman Temple. The temple is in the Guinness Book of World Records for the continuous chanting of the prayer "Shri Ram, Jai Ram, Jai Jai Ram" since August 1, 1964!
We waited there for the driver's two friends to come. One of them speaks English and was coming to translate.
Pintu Zala, my interpreter Sukhpreet Singh, and me.
Pintu Zala, my interpreter Sukhpreet Singh, and me.
He asked what I wanted to do and I showed him the name of the fabric this city is famous for...bandhani. To make bandhani fabric, they fold the fabric and then tie thousands of tiny knots. Then thy dye the fabric. The results are spectacular!
To remove the knots, they pull and stretch the fabric. Then open the folds. The knots just pop off!
We went to fabric store and settled in for a long afternoon!
I was in HEAVEN.
Fabric...and fabric...and fabric.
It was all so beautiful, and overwhelming.
I had to make choices (ugh). It was hard to narrow down to just a few, because they are all so beautiful.
And I had to really ponder how much I would actually wear the clothing back home.
I think I made some good choices.
Just SOME of my many many options!
To remove the knots, they pull and stretch the fabric. Then open the folds. The knots just pop off!
We went to fabric store and settled in for a long afternoon!
I was in HEAVEN.
Fabric...and fabric...and fabric.
It was all so beautiful, and overwhelming.
I had to make choices (ugh). It was hard to narrow down to just a few, because they are all so beautiful.
And I had to really ponder how much I would actually wear the clothing back home.
I think I made some good choices.
Just SOME of my many many options!
Then we went to Sukhpreet Singh's home...to meet his mother Devinder Kaur. She is a tailor and was going to turn the fabric into the salwar kameez and dupatta (a traditional dress-like tunic and trouser combination with a long scarf).
I'll admit, it was a little nerve-wracking leaving the car with two men I had just met, walking down a run-down alley, and then up three flights of winding stairs. I took comfort in the fact that if anything happened...Spencer would know where to look since I was with the driver!
The apartment was VERY clean and rather cool. Lots of open windows allowed a breeze to blow through. In one of the bedrooms, she kept a cabinet full of fabric. She had a treadle sewing machine...very similar to a traditional Singer, but it was a different brand.
She took my measurements (and told me what measurements I needed for the kids.) Tomorrow, we'll take the fabric to her house, decided on a neckline and pant style. Then she will make the clothing.
I'll admit, it was a little nerve-wracking leaving the car with two men I had just met, walking down a run-down alley, and then up three flights of winding stairs. I took comfort in the fact that if anything happened...Spencer would know where to look since I was with the driver!
The apartment was VERY clean and rather cool. Lots of open windows allowed a breeze to blow through. In one of the bedrooms, she kept a cabinet full of fabric. She had a treadle sewing machine...very similar to a traditional Singer, but it was a different brand.
She took my measurements (and told me what measurements I needed for the kids.) Tomorrow, we'll take the fabric to her house, decided on a neckline and pant style. Then she will make the clothing.
While she was measuring, the driver left to go eat lunch. After she was done, they fed me lunch! I had a curry dish with potatoes and diced up beans, flat bread, cucumbers, and yogurt. It was delicious. Hot, but good.
Next, we went to the ice cream shop Sukhpreet Singh owns and had a cup of ice cream. It was really nice...cold and sweet...perfect after that spicy lunch!
Finally, we went to a temple dedicated to the god Krishna. The temple was built around the tree. It was amazing to see. The tree is alive and well, but doesn't grow any wider or any taller.
This is the well that feeds into the temple. Even though there has been a drought the last 4 years, there are always 3 drops of water that feed into the shrine everyday. No more, no less. Always three.
After that, we returned to the hotel. I was exhausted! I took a shower and then a nap.
Tomorrow...more exploring in Jamnagar.





No comments:
Post a Comment